Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Techno-Literacy Narrative Draft

When I was young, subconsciously, I thought art was just about pictures and drawing and colors. My parent's are deaf, and perhaps this influenced me on loving how things looked rather than what it meant. There wasn't much of a way for them to actually teach me English, and as I learned it elsewhere, reading wasn't really a practice of any kind in my household; we'd use Sign Language to communicate. I never showed interest in reading, and I probably never would have even if I knew how creative and well-thought the text was. I was more into creating my own "art", not reading someone else's work. I always focused on the design of the artwork and what it looked like. If it looked cool, I liked it. Though this kind of mindset hasn't left me, growing up in my young adolescent years has taught me about what art really is.

Writing is one of the most powerful instruments of communication. It explains truths,  manipulates lies, it can make someone deeply reflect on themselves and can affect a person both physically and mentally. When we write, in some ways more than others, is very expressive professionally, personally and emotionally. Some people use writing for personal benefits or for a societal and/or professional audience; it all depends on the writer's topic and audience. When I write, I do it initially for my personal benefits and in hopes to expand it to an audience. I always loved art and creating or editing things. I always thought of writing as an academic skill, but after becoming so stressed and mad on the inside all the time, I found my stress and anger management in writing. Writing now has more of a meaning to me than just "writing a paper".

My writing has evolved, and it has definitely been affected by technology, and most notably through media. After being introduced to Chinese music, writing became a leisure. Music, like writing, is a powerful form of communication. Music is not only about sounds and instruments (including the voice), but also with skills of writing. Lyrics are an important part to some musical pieces. I quickly became fond of Chinese music and gradually began to question the meanings behind some of the lyrics I was listening to. I read both the Chinese text and the English translations and eventually thought of writing my own. I moved from a general creative writing style into a more specific style. This is probably the biggest turning point for me as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment